Purple Feed allows publishers to generate RSS feeds from content in the Purple Hub. You can define various feeds based on a variety of filters. You can then access these feeds either through the Purple Manager URL (default setting) or through a custom domain.
- Have an Admin role in Purple Hub
The following setting must be activated to use Purple Feeds:
- The "Purple DS Hub - Purple RSS" plugin must be activated
Create a new feed
- Use "Purple RSS" --> "Add feed" from menu
- Add a feed title
- Click "Configure Feed"
You will then see the "Edit Feed" page.
Edit a feed
Base information (required)
Feed title String
Name your feed (e.g. Sports)
Feed slug String
- To edit the automatically created slug, use the [Edit slug] button beside the label
- The slug is unique and will automatically be set to a unique slug if one like this already exists
Feed base target URI String
Tell the RSS service on which URL the feed is running (how to display the article links in the feed). You can configure the custom domain e.g., if the article must be accessible at https://www.yourdomain.com/subdir/[article-slug], "subdir" must be defined here.
Feed image Select
You can select a thumbnail from your media library to enrich the RSS feed with a teaser image
- The content filter defines what articles will be delivered within the feed, so you can set Categories to be included into the feed.
- The feed will always only deliver published articles. By dragging the elements from the lower list to the upper list (or empty area, if no filter was defined), the filter will be created automatically.
- All arguments are connected with an AND-relation: If you choose one category, the content belonging to this category is displayed in the feed. If you select two, only content, that belongs to both categories get displayed. E.g. If you select the categories 'Sports' and 'Regional', only the articles that belong to both categories, 'Sports' and 'Regional', get displayed. Articles, only belonging to one of both, wouldn’t get listed in the RSS feed.
Include post contents on delivery Checkbox
- Allows to pass the whole article text to external services.
- If checked, an item will contain the element <content:encoded> with full article content
This is interesting for external text to speech services (like bot talk) or newsletter use cases. Example: Create a 'Newsletter' category in Purple Hub, write a newsletter article, add the article to the category 'Newsletter' and create an RSS feed, containing articles with the category 'Newsletter' to ingest this article to your newsletter RSS function.
Include featured image on delivery Checkbox
- Enrich the RSS feed with a teaser Image
- If checked, an item will contain the element <enclosure> with attributes
- url that has the url of the featured image
- length with bytes of the image
- type with mime-type information
Limit number of items Int
The maximum number of items that will be returned from the Purple Content Cloud
Feed description String
A descriptive text about your feed
Feed category String
- A definition of the category/categories your feed belongs to
- Combine multiple categories with a slash "/"
- Has no correlation with the filter category
Contains the Copyright information of your feed
The TTL-argument will be used by automatic feed readers as time between automated feed calls in min. The default setting is 60 minutes.
Language setting is only available if the Hub is set up with Polylang as a multi-language Hub. If you set this information, the language information will be added to the feed. The feed items still depend on your selected filter options.
If all required information is set and saved, you can publish the feed.
Save feed properties
Make sure to save your changes made on this page before leaving it.
Depending on your Hub environment, the final feed URIs differ:
- Prod: https://feeds.purplemanager.com/[team-id]/[feed-slug]
- Staging: https://feeds.staging.purplemanager.com/[team-id]/[feed-slug]
- Dev: https://feeds.dev.purplemanager.com/[team-id]/[feed-slug]