The first thing to do for enabling dynamic links on your Android app is to generate a SHA256 fingerprint, by entering the 'keytool' command in Mac OS's 'Terminal' app.
Before generating the fingerprint, however, you will need the keystore file, its alias, and the store-/keypassword. Without any of these three, the setup will not be possible.
We will explain this process using a MAC Computer.
1. Store the keystore file on your desktop by going into the build settings of your app. There you find the keystore file in the Android section.
2. Open Terminal on your Mac by pressing 'CMD + Spacebar' to open the Spotlight Search and type 'Terminal'. Click Terminal from the list.
3. In the Terminal window, type 'cd Desktop' and press the Enter key.
4. The window should look like this now:
5. Now copy-and-paste the command below:
keytool -list -v -keystore <keystore path> -alias <key alias> -storepass <store password> -keypass <key password>
After pasting it, but before hitting the Enter/Return key, replace <keystore path>, <key alias>, <store password>, <key password> with your values.
- You can delete <keystore path> as you are already on the Desktop
- <key alias> is the Alias parameter which was set during the creation of your keystore file
- <store password> and <key password> were also set during the creation of your keystore file
So, let's say you have created a keystore file with the following parameters:
- key alias = mybrandname
- store password = 12345
- key password = ABCD
Your final keytool input for the example above should look like this:
keytool -list -v -keystore -alias mybrandname -storepass 12345 -keypass ABCD
After entering the above term and hitting the enter key, Keytool should output the following text and the SHA256 fingerprint highlighted in red.
6. Now copy the SHA256 fingerprint and go to the project settings of your Firebase project.
7. Go to the 'Your apps' section and click on 'Add fingerprint'
8. Enter the SHA256 fingerprint you copied from Terminal and click Save.
The final result should look like this: