Create a block pattern and use it in an article in Purple Hub
In this article, you learn how to convert a reusable block to a block pattern and create an article from it in Purple Hub.
You will choose an existing reusable block and convert it to a block pattern. Afterwards, you will create a new article, add the block pattern, overwrite it with your own content and save it. We will work with the example of a recipe block pattern and overwrite it with a pancake recipe.
- Have an Editor Role in Purple Hub
- Have a reusable block created that you would like to convert to a block pattern
- The 'Reusable Blocks Extended' plugin must be enabled. If it is already activated, you will find the 'Blocks' menu item in your Purple Hub in the left hand side menu. If it's not visible there, contact us so we can activate it for you.
- Find further details about block patterns in the WordPress documentation for block patterns
1. Go to Purple Hub and click on 'Blocks'
2. Click on 'All Reusable blocks'
3. Choose the reusable block, which you want to convert and click on 'Convert to block pattern'
4. Click on 'Purple Feed'
5. Click on 'Articles'
6. Click on 'Add Article
7. Click on the '+' symbol
8. Click on 'Patterns'
9. Choose the pattern, which you have converted from a reusable block before, and click on it
10. Overwrite the pattern with your content
11. In our example, we used the pattern for a recipe post and overwrote it with a recipe for pancakes
12. When you are done editing your post, click on 'Save Draft'
You have now successfully converted a reusable block to a block pattern. You have created a new article, added your new block pattern, overwrote it with your own content and saved it as a draft.
Block patterns in WordPress can be seen as templates for your posts. Using your own block pattern will save you time and help you to keep consistency for recurring sections of contents, e.g. intros, tables of contents, events, sports reviews, recipes, etc.